Due to the volatility and instability of the resources and markets, it becomes very difficult to choose the most appropriate line of action for the next years.
As strategy auditors, we assist in the identification of the factors that might affect your business and reorient the resources to minimize potential risks.
It is based on strategical proposals that the capacity of the company in the anticipation of the necessities of its clients is assessed.
We will verify if the means to diagnose the future exist:
- Actual and potential factors of sales;
- Factors that influence the value chain today and potentially ( mid term);
- Raw material resources and its degree of current and potential concentration;
- Specialization and abilities of the collaborators to face actual and potential demands.
We will analyze the existence of formalized strategical planning, with clear identification of the mission, vision and objectives set to attain.
We will determine if the way to convert the strategical plan into plans and budgets is reasonable and has in mind the risks of the business, as well as the stronger and weaker aspects of the company.
We will analyze the implemented reporting model and the way it influences the reassessment and periodic revision of the strategy.
As auditors we will assure that the strategy chosen by the company is formalized, communicated and applied by all departments.
One of the main foundations for a well implemented strategy is marketing. Having this in mind, we will also audit the marketing plans, focusing our work on the following aspects:
- Verifying if the strategical marketing guidelines are clear and acknowledged by everyone with the power to decide;
- Assuring that, for the broad set of proposals defined by the marketing plan, all relations with all the entities linked to the company where taken in consideration;
- Knowing the strategical vortex embraced by the company, in order to being able to determine the aspects to subject to analysis;
- Verifying the existence of marketing plans and its periodical revision;
- Analysing the applied controlling process, as well as its periodicity;
- Confirming the aspects subject to analysis and comparing them with what has already been publicized;
- Measuring the time between the verification of errors and the reaction of the marketing department;1
- Inquiring if the carried through modifications based on the controlling process are communicated to the hierarchic superiors and taken in consideration by all parties involved;
- Assuring that the strategical marketing plan corresponds to the set rules and that all elements were taken in consideration.
We will use an auditing grill to assure that the controlling process is being adequately executed:
- Do the strategical purposes of the company’s general policy have a clear input on the marketing plan? Are they appropriate taking in consideration the competitive position, resources and opportunities?
- Do these purposes mention the course of action to be performed by the company?
- Are there quantitative and qualitative purposes for the department to attain?
- Is there a funded prevision of where the company will be in 3 years? Is that prevision accurate taken in account the life cycle of the product, the strategical plans of the competitors and the economic situation?
- Which are the main assumptions that backup the strategical plan of the company? Of all these assumptions, which ones involve a greater risk?
- Does the company have clear and strong strategies in order to attain the marketing purposes set by the plan?
In the course of our work we will also audit the process behind the strategical marketing plan. To do so we will analyse and corroborate the following aspects:
- Do the entities behind the marketing department decisions have a visionary way of thinking?
- Is the strategical marketing planning known, shared and followed by the operational structure of the company?
- What is the period of time covered by the strategical marketing plan?
- How often is the application of the plan verified by the department?
- Does everyone responsible for carrying out the strategical plan has its written copy?
- Who is responsible for the execution of each part of the strategical plan?
- On whom does the marketing department depend for the execution of the strategical plan? Are these entities outside the department motivated by this plan?
- What other opportunities are there to explore? Which strategical proposals?
- Are there independent strategies for key clients?
- Is there a plan for products/services distribution by geographic area, as well as for prices and markets targeted?
1- Adaptado da revista IPAI nº22